Monday, May 4, 2009

Rocco's hand made shoes




Age 14 saw me obsessed with sixties rock bands and I tried my best to hone my 'hippie rock' look. First stop was Rocco's shoe store on Station street, East Malvern, Melbourne where my older sister's arty boyfriend took my to get some bespoke black suede pull on pointy boots.

Rocco Bufalo is an Italian-born shoemaker who has been hand making shoes and boots for around 40 years. Now in his early seventies, his son is learning the craft of shoemaking to carry on the tradtion. Bands and artists such as The Strokes (Albert Hammond Jr seen here wearing said boots), Bon Jovi, David Bowie have been known to put in their own orders.

His style is very much fifites and sixties rock & roll, but you can be as crazy or classic as you like. First step is to browse the shop and pick out some favourites from the display shelves. Choose one pair for the heel you like (flat, medium, cuban heel maybe?), another for the leather (leopard print perhaps!) another for the style (pull on boots, zip up mod style, flat lace ups.....). Finally, Mrs Bufalo will take your shoe size by placing foot on a sheet of A4 paper and tracing it.

In a few weeks, for around $200, you'll have your own bespoke boots. I'm planning a visit soon so I'll be sure to post the final result - stay tuned!

1 comment:

Spin Spin said...

Can you post a photo of 14-year-old you in your Rocco shoes, puh-lease?! If only I'd known you before we were 17, that would have been fun!

 
Clicky Web Analytics